Richard, Becky, Sarah, Rachel, & Emma

Monday, July 9, 2012

Scooters, broken legs and fireworks...

...can only mean one thing...

Happy Independence Day from our family!

Our day started out like most other summer Mondays at our house:
 Scooter happiness and joy!
 Big smiles all around!  (0:

10 minutes later there was a minor crash
and...

Rachel hurt her leg.  She kept saying "Take me to the doctor!  Take me to the doctor!  Take me to the doctor!".
So I iced her leg for half an hour and let her calm down.

Then we trucked over to the ER.

Maybe I should let you know...

We live in a 2nd floor aparment.
So, I carried my 8-year-old up (iced her leg), then down the stairs,
walked past the other apartments to the parking lot,
then finally found my van.

THEN we trucked over to the ER...
 Entertaining themselves...

 So, Ms Rachel broke both her Tibia and Fibula.
(This picture makes me laugh.  Rach was pretty happy most of the time, but Richard held up the picture to her face and she scowled!)
Rachel started with a splint below her knee which worked ok for the first few minutes.
(notice the happy face)
But after an afternoon of excruciating pain, she was given a wonderful Priesthood blessing that helped her finally calm down and sleep.
(I am so grateful for the power of the Priesthood!)

Richard and I decided to take her back to the ER the next morning to get a longer splint.
They sent us over to the orthopedist who agreed that she should have been splinted higher.
MUCH, much better!!
Richard was always taught to splint the joint above and below, why these guys didn't do it at first, who knows?

On Independence Day we went to that Ward Breakfast and kids parade.
 Thanks to the Hebertsons for the wagon!
 Go Sarah Go!
 Thanks Daddy!
 Emma and Carver enjoying the morning.
 Fun to get together and celebrate!  (0:

For FIREWORKS that evening we went to Richard's office.
He works on the 31st floor of a building overlooking a river they do HUGE fireworks..

While we waited for them to start,we played Skip-Bo in the waiting room.
We were SO HAPPY to have the Tanise and Kaia Colvin come down and visit for a few days!
And they are quite the Card Sharks!!!!!!!!
But we love them anyway!  (0:
(this is a picture of Tanise laying down her winning 4)

God Bless America,
Land that I love.
Stand Beside her, and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above.
From the Mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam.
God bless America, My home sweet home.

 Thank you Heavenly Father, for this choice land!

4 comments:

Barnes Blog said...

Love this post. I can't believe the Colvin's came...SO FUN!!!!!! I miss you.

Unknown said...

Interesting thing -- I broke my ankle a couple of years ago. I went to the instacare where they did xrays and couldnt' find a break. They said it was just a sprain and wrapped it, gave me an air cast and crutches and told me it should be better in a couple of weeks. Long story short, it WAS broken, but was a talar dome fracture leaving bone chips that were chewing up the soft tissue of the joint. It finally required a specialist and an MRI to find the damage and by the time we got to the surgeon it was a disaster. BUT -- back on track -- the instacare doctor had wrapped my ankle from my arch to just less than halfway up my shin. A week or so later I had to take a daughter to the pediatrician (to check her spleen because she had mono at the time) and the NP noticed how horrible my foot looked. The swelling and bruising of the front half of my foot was grotesque. She asked if she could please re-wrap it for me. She started from all the way up at my toes and gave me a second wrap so it was wrapped firmly from the toes to above the ankle. Then she asked if she could show the other nurses. She said that ER / Instacare doctors are notorious for wrapping just the injured joint rather than starting at the furthest point of the extremity. She said that even in a knee injury you need to start at the toes, or it encourages swelling and bruising which just makes it all worse. She was so right! The pain improved a great deal simply from wrapping it right! It seems that the ER docs tend to do what it takes to manage the immediate pain, but they never see the "this is still killing me" issues with a badly wrapped joint!
I'm glad she got a better cast on. Poor thing! <3

Heather said...

Richard's office looks so nice!!! How neat! Bummer about Rachel's leg--we've dealt with 2 broken arms this year, but a leg is SUCH a different story. I feel for you and for her!!! Hope she gets better quickly!

Sachiko said...

Oh no, poor Rachel!! It's not fun to have an unusable leg (really, I know), but I love the red wagon she is in. Very creative. :)
I miss you!