Richard, Becky, Sarah, Rachel, & Emma

Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Weekend


I just got back from a little family vacation and I wanted to post for a second. This weekend was filled with movies and games and laughter and fun. It is so fun to be together as a family and take a little break from our everyday lives.

But it is also so important to remember the reason we have Memorial Day. It is a day to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice while defending our nation. It is one of the most solemn holidays of the year.

I have spent time in many special places remembering the soldiers of this nation. This picture is the flag that waves above the USS Arizona Memorial in Honolulu, Hawaii, to remember those that died at Pearl Harbor.
I spent time in Gettysburg and I will never forget the feeling of looking over the huge fields where so many died and reading the inscriptions on the memorials that are now there.
And visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and Arlington Cemetery was one of the most humbling things I have ever done. I was so proud of our country and was filled with so much gratitude for the men and women who laid down their lives for my county and my freedom. All of our Freedom.
I love our country and I am proud to be an American. As I sit here typing on the computer, there is a large American Flag hanging on the wall to my right. I made a promise a long time ago that I would never forget the sacrafice of so many people for me. Most of these people have never met me, but they were willing to give it all to secure our Freedom. Thank you so much and I will never forget!
God Bless America and God Bless our Troops!

1 comment:

Goodkids said...

I remember that you guys always had a flag hanging outside of your KG home. It was beautiful and a great reminder!