Richard, Becky, Sarah, Rachel, & Emma

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Emma's "ruff" day

I just wanted to send fill you in our what's up with us. Yesterday (Tuesday,June 10th) Emma broke her leg. She's ok, it just hurts. She has been really climbing a ton and I have been keeping a sharp eye on her. She climbs the bunk bed ladder and is really careful and Sarah also keeps a really close eye on her, too. Well, Ms. Rachel didn't want her on the ladder, so she pushed her off. I was in my room and I heard the scream and tore in there. Sarah said that she was on the top and she fell down the ladder (I think she must have tumbled) and that she landed on her tummy. I ran in and started carefully taking off her pijamas so I could look and see if she was hurt. I could see that her left leg and foot were already starting to swell. She wouldn't put any pressure on it or even set it down on the floor. She held it up in the air. I thought "Well, that's probably broken". Great. So I knew that my brother-in-law Jon would be there in a few minutes. He is in his last semester before he is a Physicians Assitant, so I called and asked him to look at her foot while he was here.(Thanks a ton, Jon!!!) We waited and when he came in and looked at her, he pretty much confirmed what I was thinking.
So we headed to the Urgent Care at my pediatrician's office. They got us in as soon as possible. The doctor on call (not her normal doctor) looked her over and checked for any injuries anywhere else, but didn't really see any. He put her little leg in a splint and wrapped it up.
They send us to the hospital for an x-ray (it was like three blocks away). Poor little Emma. We had to unwrap her leg for the x-ray and had to position it the right way to get the best picture. Then they gave me the x-rays and I went back to the pediatricians office. He ran out and talked to us in the waiting room. He says the break was a simple break and that it was in an ok place(no growthplate or anything like that), so he said it would heal up well. He said it also looked like maybe she twisted it as she fell (maybe it got caught on the rung of the ladder), so instead of being kind of straight, it was kind of diagonal and around. But it was something that would heal fine.
Oh, and during most of this, Richard was on his way back from Blanding for work. When I called him, he was still 1 1/2 hours away. He was nervous and stressed, but what can you do? Poor guy. So I wrestled the three girls alone into the van, at the pediatricians office, and at the hospital to check in, and to take x-rays. Richard got there when we were finishing at Radiology. I was so happy when he showed up!!! Emma was so happy to see him. She just looked up and said "Daddy!!!!!". I think it helped her feel better to see him. I think she was probably wondering where he was.
So, right now Emma is still in her splint. We have to wait 3 days for the swelling to go down and then on Friday we are going back in to get a cast put on. Yeay. She will be in a cast for 4-6 weeks. So no swimming until the end of July or something. What a bummer!!! Emma is doing ok. She is still a little nervous around her leg because before she had the splint on, it hurt every time she was moved. She slept well last night. But we brought her into our room in the morning so that she didn't try to get out of bed. Not much walking and stuff going to happenfor a while. And I get to carry her around and buff up my arms.
One of the hardest things about being a parent is seeing one of your children hurt. They are just helpless and you just want to protect them and "put them in a bubble", as we put it. I just feel so bad for Emma. I know she will be ok, but I hate to see her in pain! And Emma just turned 2 years old. Talk about a rough time!!! Also, when she gets the cast on, I'll take a picture and post it, too. Keep us in your prayers!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ouch! I hope Emma heals fast. It would be so hard to be two years old and immobile.

JoyBeto said...

Ooh! Poor Memma! But hey, at least she got some yummy french fries out of it! YEA

Melissa said...

That is so sad!!! :( I hope she feels better soon!!!

Amber said...

It always happens during the summer. Isaac broke his arm when he was 2. No fun! We hope Emma feels better soon!