#1- Great first day of school... The girls started school on Thursday. On her first day of school, Richard walked her onto the playground and found a few kids in her class. One little girl ran up to Sarah and asked her if she was the new girl. She had made a card for Sarah, because she knew she was coming. So sweet! Oh, and the library at the school is so SICK! I can't believe how big it is! On Rachel's first day of preschool (at JFK Catholic School), she found out that one of her great friends from Primary is in her class and they are now best friends! I am so glad that I don't have to stress too much about school.#2- Having a townhouse is a lot like living in a house. The house seems so much bigger with three floors. The bedrooms are pretty teeny, but lots of other space to spread out. A whole unfinished basement for storage and a playroom!
#3- Having the John Deere headquarters pretty close. Richard took the girls there yesterday during my Super Saturday and they had a blast!!!!!! The girls all loved climbing in and "driving" the huge tractors and combines!!!
#4- The rain. Man, it rains hard here! In Utah, it will rain for a while and then stop. But here in the Midwest, it can pour all day long. I am getting ready to say farewell to my flip flops for the winter and that is hard. It has been like 50 degrees and I still wear them.
#5- Polite driving. Other than the guy that flipped Richard off the first day we were here, people drive more politely here. Everytime we pull out of our parking lot, people will stop and let us turn left. Amazing!!!
#6- Cool places to shop... Menards- if the name doesn't tip you off, it is a redneck Home Depot that makes us laugh everytime we pass. Aldi- Amy, you discovered this one, too. I walked out of there with $150 worth of groceries for $80. And you have to put a quarter in to use a shopping cart and you have to buy their shopping bags if you need a bag (we bring our own). There is a Department store named "Yonkers", and grocery stores named "Shnucks" and "Hy-Vee". But of couse, I know by heart where the 2 Walmarts are and the Target, too!
#7- Here in our city they do trick-or-treating on Oct. 30th each year. The neighboring town does it on Halloween. Richard says maybe it is to give the police force a better way to handle it or something. I thought they were kidding but people really go out the night before and not on Halloween!!! Our ward is going to do a trunk or treat that night. So 2 nights of candy, I guess. Who can beat that?!
#8- Above all else that we have learned in the last 8 days is that the church is true here, too! We were able to go to the Nauvoo temple and that was AMAZING! It was so great to do some temple work. It made me feel more at home. And our ward here is so awesome! The people here just want to help us in any way they can. I can't imagine having to make this move and not have an awesome elder's quorum waiting to move us in! And meeting people who are working hard to be good. It is great to move in and know that you can find people to hang out with. How do people do it without the church! What a blessing to be a member of the church!
So that wraps up 8 fun things. I know that there will be more for the future. Keep checking in on us!
5 comments:
Trick or Treating on the 30th. Weird.
I like this post! I also like your IKEA shelf thingy, have one myself, in the dark brown color, it is the half size one and I tip it on the side and use it for an entry table.
That sounds awesome. A good ward and a good school really make big changes easier. I'm glad you're enjoying your townhouse. Oh yeah, and you Utah drivers are crazy....welcome to the real world.
You always have a positive attitude! I know you can make lots of friends and feel at home in Iowa in no time. I miss you! Love you tons!
Yay for redneck stores! I am so glad that you guys are happy there. It was nice to talk to you on the phone the other night too. I miss you, but I am just pretending that you are still in Highland and we are just too busy to get together. ;o)
Post a Comment