Richard, Becky, Sarah, Rachel, & Emma

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Confessions of a less than average cuisinista... the beginning

One of my dirty little secrets is that I am not a super cook. I am ok, you know a few casseroles, some stir fry and the mac 'n cheese, but not a really cuisinista (not sure if that is a word, but it is now). I have always wanted to be, but I just never was. My mom has always been a great cook. It just always seemed so second nature to her. Some of my favorite foods are recipes I learned from her. Also, I just spent the last 18 months in the home of another woman who is an amazing cook (my mother-in-law) and loves to share her food with everyone.
So I have been inspired! I started my journey as soon as I could here in the Midwest. I made brownies from a box (something that I am quite adept at, if I do say so myself). I refused to take a picture of that because of the box-yness of it.
But then last night we had some overripe bananas and instead of throwing them out (like I have always done), I decided, "What the heck? Why not make some banana bread?". So I busted out a recipe book and went for it. I added an extra banana, so that would explain the extra 15 mins. the bread took to bake (yeah, right!). After putting the loaves back in the oven (twice), because they were still doughy, the bread actually turned out pretty good. A little on the flat side, but I will work on that.
So here is the beginning of my journey...

5 comments:

Katie Salmond said...

Welcome to the cuinista club!

Jen said...

I love it. Great job! I know how you feel, I was forced to cook with all the food allergies and it has been a long ten years of trial and error. You go girl!

Angela Whiting said...

Yay, congratulations. I am sure that the flames on the mixer made an extra yummy treat. I am sure that the difference in elevation will take you a little time to get use to. All of the recipes that you are use to cooking at Utah altitudes. So don't be sad if some things flop. I still think that we should do our little private cooking catastrophes blog!

Melissa, Ethan, and Julianne said...

Good Job!! Enjoy the cooking journey!! Love and miss you guys!!

Heather said...

I'm so impressed and proud of you that you're venturing! It gets MUCH easier and intuitive after the first few things you make from scratch. May the force be with you!